Category Archives: Higher Education Coordinating Commission

These are the best colleges and universities in Oregon, according to U.S. News & World Report

U.S. News & World Report has released their national and regional ranking of colleges and universities for 2019. In the top spot? Princeton takes it for the eighth year in a row for national universities and  Williams College continued its 16-year winning streak for best national liberal arts college. Source: These are the best colleges […]
Read More »

North Lake County makes case for leaving COCC district

COCC asks state to ignore request to leave college’s taxing district. Citizens from sparsely-­populated north Lake County want out of Central Oregon Community College’s taxing district, saying the community college neglects them and the value of the services they receive does not match the property taxes paid to the school. Source: North Lake County makes […]
Read More »

State Commission Considers COCC Boundary Change

The Central Oregon Community College Board will hold a special meeting at noon, Monday, to discuss a proposal that would remove northern Lake County from the school’s district. “This has never happened before; let’s start with that,” COCC’s Ron Paradis tells KBND News. He says the college has been talking with a group from the […]
Read More »

Northern Lake County to host public hearing on leaving COCC district

The Higher Education Coordinating Commission will consider changing COCC’s boundaries to exclude north Lake County. The Oregon Higher Education Coordinating Commission will hold a public hearing Monday night in Silver Lake to consider a petition asking north Lake County to be removed from Central Oregon Community College’s district. Source: Northern Lake County to host public […]
Read More »

Thousands at the top: Compensation numbers for presidents at Oregon’s public universities

Presidents of Oregon’s public universities were relatively average for the 2016-2017 fiscal year compared to their colleagues, according to newly released data. The Chronicle of Higher Education published an updated version Sunday of a yearly report with information on compensation for top university executives. It includes details on benefits as well as salaries. Source: Thousands […]
Read More »

Applications taken for new National Guard tuition aid

Lawmakers approved program earlier this year. The Higher Education Coordinating Commission on Friday announced the state of Oregon is now accepting applications through Sept.1 for the Oregon National Guard State Tuition Assistance (ONG-STA) grant for students planning to attend college this fall. This new grant program provides funds for tuition at Oregon community colleges and public universities for […]
Read More »

A new bill signed to support tuition assistance for the National Guard

The Oregon National Guard will receive state tuition assistance with the signing of House Bill 4035. Governor Kate Brown, signed the bill during a ceremony at Kingsley Field, Air National Guard Base Saturday. According to an Oregon Military Department press release, the bill, passed by the Oregon Legislature on March 3, authorizes state tuition assistance for service […]
Read More »

State gives OSU-Cascades separate standing from Corvallis

Building budget will put Bend campus on par with state’s seven universities. Hoping to avoid the bruising budget battles of the past two years, the state has quietly listed Oregon State University-Cascades as a separate institution in the next round of construction funding. The new arrangement means the Bend campus will have its own priority […]
Read More »

Oregon denied financial aid to 2 out of every 3 eligible college students

Oregon gave need-based college scholarships to just 31 percent of students who were eligible for one in 2015, turning down the other 69 percent because it ran out of money. That was the fourth-worst rate among the 38 states that tracked how many eligible students they denied need-based college aid, reporting by independent education news […]
Read More »

EOU proves its fiscal and performance stability

Eastern Oregon University announced last week that it has met all fiscal and performance stability conditions set by the former State Board of Education, meeting the unanimous approval of the state’s Higher Education Coordinating Commission. The HECC reported to Gov. Kate Brown and state leaders that three years of reporting, analysis and monitoring concluded that […]
Read More »